Location: Bogil-myeon, Wando county, Jeollanamdo
Road Guidance: Honam Expressway to the Kwangsan Interchange (13 lane national road) to Naju through Haenam to the Wando Grand Bridge to Wando harbor.
Bogildo, an island in the South Sea (East China Sea) located 12km from Wando International Harbor, is where 17th century poet Yun Seon-do (pen name: Gosan) made up his mind to stay after being enchanted by its graceful mountains and waters when he stopped in to steer clear of a violent typhoon on a voyage to Jejudo. During his stay of ten years, he enjoyed rural life, erecting 25 bowers such as the Seyun arbor and Nakseo bower. His famous work 'Eeobusasisa' also was written here.
This island also has a rock with Uam Song Si-yeol's handwriting, carved during the period of King Sookjong during the Jeoseondynasty, in addition to vestiges of Gosan coourtier Yun Seon-do. Uam Song Si-yeol went into exile at the age 83 years since he aroused the king's anger with the crown prince's accession problem. On the way he carved a poem on a rock. In addition to the Yeasongri sunrise, Mt. Bojok, the Sunchangri sunset, and the Buyongri camellia seed forest are also worth seeing.
The following information comes from the Korea National Toursim Organization:
According to season, weather, or number of passengers, a ferry's departure time is liable to change or ship service can be suspended. In particular, because in summer high-demand seasons, shipping service numbers increase largely and fluctuations of departure time also are very severe, Therefore, it is good in advance to check by all means by telephone to the outport ticket window or the appropriate shipping company.
A reference: (Bus) Wando Hwhahongpo port direct
communication 062-362-0718, 061-555-1010
Kwangju bus terminal 062-360-8114
Wando bus terminal 061-552-1500
(Vessel) Wando Hwhahongpo port 061-555-1010,
061-554-7955 (a combined use as Fax)
Bogil travel bureau 061-553-5177
Soan agricultural cooperative 061-553-8188-9
Soan ferry No. 1 011-9603-8188
Soan ferry No. 2 011-9431-8189
1) Bogil bus (061-553-7077) sets out from Cheongbeolri, the site of Bogil meyon, where the quay is located. A buhwangribound bus (Seyeongjeong), a Yeasongri-bound bus, Jungtongri-bound bus, and Cheongdongri & Bookri-bound bus roll 5 times, 7 times, 2 times, and 5 times respectively.
2) Tourists can also use taxies for business belonging to Bogil taxi (061-553-8876) or individual taxis. For the most part, those taxis are jeep-model taxis like the Galloper and a fare is on a flat sum per sector system.
Spot lodging :
Lodgings at a private house (minbok) www.koreadong.com/191/bogilmyun/
Public conveyance guidance
1. Public traffic: From the Gwangju bus terminal window No. 31 & 32 to Wando Hwahongpo port (the wharfside to Bogildo), public buses depart in accordance with the ferry's sailing time. Also, from same window to the Wando bus terminal, public traffic communicates directly from the Wando bus terminal to Hwahongpo port, an agricultural cooperative bus runs free of charge in accordance with the ferry time.
( Ferry runs 13 times per day: 06:10, 06:50, 07:30, 09:00, 09:40, 10:20, 11:00, 12:10, 12:50, 13:40, 15:20, 16:00, & 17:40)
*Confirmation is needed because time and running times are subjected to change
2. In case of using the West Coast highway with a passenger car, if tourists come from Mokpo to the direction of Wando/Kangjin, they can arrive at Hwahongpo port (10 minutes from the Wando Grand Bridge) at a point where the Wando Grand Bridge ends (20 minutes from Kangjin) through Kangjin (40 minutes from Mokpo). Also, in case of using Gwangju, tourists can come to the direction of Wando from Kangjin (1 hour and 30 minutes from Gwangju) through Naju.
3. Ferry: 1) The end of the land-Bogildo: Ferries that load auto and passengers together, leave the port from Galdu quay (061-533-4269) seven times per a day (first vessel 8:20, & last vessel 17:30/ Service at roughly two hour intervals). It takes about one hour to arrive to Bogildo Cheongbeol quay.
*In summer high-demand season (July 16-August 22) it is increased to 9-10 times per a day.
2)Wando-Bogildo: Soan ferry that passes through Soando and Nohwado from Hwahongpo port (061-555-1010), leaves port 15 times per a day (6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:20, 9:40, 10:30, 11:10, 11:50, 12:50, 13:30, 14:20, 16:00, 16:40, 18:00, & 18:30). It takes roughly one hour or one hour & 20 minutes.