Over 4,000 world leaders in blockchain from over 50+ countries converged in Hong Kong from March 4-8, 2019 for the city's first ever official Blockchain Week. The core conferences and exhibition, Block O2O and Hybrid Summit, hosted over 175 speakers and the world's blockchain elite at the Asia World Expo.
According to PRNewswire press release on March 14, regardless of the global bear market, the event was abuzz. NexChange CEO Juwan Lee observes, "Crypto and blockchain are at a very important inflection point. The reality is that the technology is growing; we're coming to these events and we're starting to see real projects with real traction and customer bases with real revenue models. That gets exciting!"
Speakers shaping our blockchain future included:
• Brittany Kaiser, the Cambridge Analytica whistleblower and founder of the Digital Asset Trade Association. She is now crusading for people to have sovereignty over their data through policy change, saying that if "you want your data protected, you have to have legal recourse."
• Dr. Larry Sanger, the co-founder of Wikipedia, took the stage to explain where he thought his former project had gone wrong, leading him to back a blockchain based alternative, Everipedia.
• Charles Hoskinson, CEO of IOHK and Founder of Cardano, advised investors and technology enthusiasts alike to keep the faith, noting that, through crypto adoption in developing countries alone, "hundreds of millions of people will join a parallel economy" that uses digital currency.
NexChange's Block O2O Summit 2019 (March 5-6) gathered blockchain professionals, industry thought leaders and top business speakers.
The Hybrid Summit (March 7-8) was hosted by Strategic Programme Partner Hybrid Block in collaboration with Chaineer Blockchain Advisory Group.
Major themes tackled at the event included:
• Blockchain and power: Big government and Regulation
• Investment outlook for blockchain technology
• Practical applications and case studies of blockchain
• Blockchain solutions for financial services and payments
• Data security challenges and AI solutions for blockchain
The full agenda with speakers can be found at www.hkblockchainweek.net. Footage of speakers is available through the contacts listed below.
Hong Kong Blockchain Week is a government supported community event and HKBCW 2019 had speakers from major Hong Kong government departments and research centers including Cyberport, HKSTP, ASTRI and Hong Kong Productivity Council.