TEXAS, US - Consistently delivering the resources to ease software development and reduce accompanying costs, Texas Instruments (TI), introduces the latest version of its Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE) – version 6. Based on the latest version of the popular, industry-standard, open-source Eclipse software framework,
Code Composer Studio v6 provides numerous updates, features and integrated tools to ease the software development experience. Running on both Windows and Linux® operating systems, Code Composer Studio v6 is available in a number of different license configurations, including several free options, reducing the cost of getting started on an embedded design. Code Composer Studio v6 is compatible across TI’s broad embedded processing portfolio including microcontrollers (MCUs), ARM-based processors and digital signal processors (DSPs).
What’s new in Code Composer Studio v6
New to Code Composer Studio IDE v6 are several updates to simplify use and reduce development time:
● Innovative and intelligent “App Center” delivers the latest features and integrates additional TI software packages at no cost. Developers can install only the features they need at the time of development, but they also have flexibility to add other applications when needed. Examples of available software packages include TI-RTOS, MSP430Ware™, C2000™ controlSUITE™, TivaWare™, GUI Composer, C compiler for SitaraTM AM335x’s Programmable Real-Time Unit (PRU) and more.
● New “Simple mode” lets developers strip down the user interface to essential functionality. This allows new designers to get comfortable with the development environment quickly and later enable additional functionality.
● Enhanced learning tools such as Optimizer Assistant and Ultra-Low Power Advisor are provided to improve performance, code size and power consumption.
Additional features and benefits of Code Composer Studio v6:
● Leverage existing GCC code. In addition to the highly optimizing TI developed C compiler Code Composer Studio integrates GCC distributions for MSP430 MCUs, as well as ARM®. This allows developers to easily leverage their existing GCC codebase when adopting TI platforms.
● Utilize latest version of Eclipse to ensure compatibility with newest complementary products offered and make working with Code Composer Studio v6 easier. More than 1,200 third-party plug-ins support product development including static code analysis, source code control, modeling and scripting development. Developers get access to the latest features and capabilities (1000+ contributions) added to the Eclipse environment.
● Take advantage of Energia, the new integrated open source software framework. Energia provides easy to understand APIs; abstracted, intuitive libraries; and an active community. All of these features from Energia enable engineers, makers and students to easily start creating MCU-based projects and applications. Users can then easily transition from the Energia development environment to the full-featured Code Composer Studio IDE to debug code and utilize other TI software packages.
● Speed design and troubleshooting with superior code development environment and an advanced editor with features such as code completion, code folding, local history of source changes, markers and the ability to associate tasks with source lines.
● Multi-processor debugging intelligently manages status and information from multiple cores (i.e. TI’s Keystone processors) without the confusion that arises when each core requires its own separate debugger.
● Automate common tasks with debug server scripting interface, such as code validation and profiling.